Transformation and Innovation
West Midlands District Council Network (WM DCN)
The chief executives of the 18 district and borough councils from across the region have met on a regular basis over the past five years with the support of IEWM. Facilitated by IEWM, the quarterly meetings are an opportunity for the chief executives and their nominated representatives to collectively consider issues directly affecting their tier of authorities outside of the shire, metropolitan and unitary debates. IEWM organises the meetings and facilitates appropriate expert speakers from within and outside the sector across a broad range of topics including:
- Welfare Reform
- Planning Reform
- The economy
- Financial planning and commercialisation
- Health integration and wellbeing
As an example of the outputs from the group IEWM has recently been commissioned to review income generating and commercial activities across the district authorities and assess their commercial readiness.
Working in conjunction with the members of its Associates Pool the IEWM team is able to offer training, advice and support to local authorities across all areas of transformation and change. The offer ranges from the delivery of individual, bespoke workshops to hands on consultancy covering:
- Service process redesign using lean systems thinking methodology;
- Cross sector collaboration workshops to put the customer at the heart of what we do;
- An introduction to change management including leadership and culture change;
- Social Value training to develop greater collaboration and understanding between local authorities and social enterprises/the third sector;
- Commercial awareness programme to develop business acumen in partnership with the School for Social Entrepreneurs.
Recent activity includes a review of the Economic Growth System in a unitary authority looking at the culture, communications and processes associated with growing the economy.
Please visit the Associates Pool page for more details of the disciplines in which we are able to provide support.